At the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries Jelenia Gora was a rich, thriving industrial centre whose residents led a busy social and cultural life. At that time there were numerous theatrical groups which visited the city and whose plays enjoyed great popularity; however, the city lacked an appropriate venue where regular plays could be staged. Thanks to the financial assistance of overlords and the generosity of residents the construction of a city theatre commenced in 1903 and was supervised by the very designer, Alfred Daehmel. The theatre was ceremoniously opened as early as in 1904 with staging the first play.
The building was designed in the Art Nouveau style with features typical for 19th century theatre buildings. It housed restaurant, exhibition and party rooms, an auditorium, a beer cellar, a cloakroom and utility rooms. The stage was equipped with all necessary equipment and the auditorium could house 700 people. The whole building had lighting (gas and electric), heating and ventilation. In its time the building was impressive and modern.
The theatre staged not only plays but also concerts, ceremonies, scientific lectures, national holiday and religious events. The theatre greeted numerous theatre, opera and operetta groups from other cities but first and foremost it was a meeting place for local artists - amateurs.
The turmoil of war spared the city and the theatre. During World War II organized party rallies and propaganda events in the theatre. The theatre also collected the costumes of the Berlin Opera and immediately after the war the Polish actors team under the leadership of Stefania Domańska, used the costumes staging ‘Zemsta’ (‘The Revenge’) by Aleksander Fredro in August 1945 .
From the theatre we go along Sudecka Street to the centre. Bankowa Street is the last point on the route. At the turn of the 19th and 20th centurie, the street was one of the most beautiful routes in Jelenia Góra. It was surrounded by grand buildings most of which survived to this day.