The City Museum “Gerhart Hauptmann’s House” is situated in Jelenia Góra-Jagniątków (previous Agnetendorf) in the villa of a German writer and the Nobel Prize winner in literature 1912 – Gerhart Hauptmann. A massive, castle-like house, which is a combination of historicism and Neo-Renaissance, was built in 1900/1901 according to the design of Hans Grisebach, an architect from Berlin. The writer lived in the residency from 1901 until his death in 1946. For five decades the Wiesenstein Villa was a kind of Art Refuge for writers and the centre of cultural and social life for many writers, intellectuals and artists from Berlin and the Karkonosze Region. It was also famous for its Art collection. After Hauptmann’s death the residency became the Holiday Centre for Children called “Warszawianka”, where till 1997 children came for holidays, winter breaks or so called green schools. After the 1989 political breakthrough in Poland, the German Chancellor Helmut Kohl and the Polish Prime Minister Tadeusz Mazowiecki decided to open in the villa a museum dedicated to the Nobel Prize winner – Gerhart Hauptmann. The Villa was radically renovated and completely restored due to the support of the Cabinet of the Federal Republic of Germany and the Foundation for Polish-German Co-operation. Nowadays it operates as a museum - The City Museum “Gerhart Hauptmann’s House,” which is a cultural institution in the town of Jelenia Góra. The museum promotes multicultural heritage of Lower Silesia and, according to its statute, gathers and stores the collections: of Hauptmann’s literary output and about literature and history of Silesia. The collections are available for scientific and educational purposes. The museum fulfils its educational mission and scientific duties through research on literature and history of Silesia; moreover, it organizes international workshops, scientific conferences on literature, theatre and history, as well as cultural meetings, concerts, lectures, or literary soirees.